Great. Now Where Am I Supposed to Shop?

Hat tip to jensized, the LA Times runs this AP story about Target Stores making a political donation to a surprising choice in the Minnesota Governor’s race:

As two “Boycott Target” groups sprang up on Facebook on Tuesday, the giant retailer defended its $150,000 donation to a group helping a Minnesota Republican gubernatorial candidate who opposes same-sex marriage.

Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel assured employees at the company's Minneapolis headquarters that the retailer’s support of the gay community was “unwavering.” He said employees, some gay, had raised concerns that the money was helping state Rep. Tom Emmer, a fiery conservative and the party’s likely nominee for governor.

Target’s money went to MN Forward, which is running TV ads supporting Emmer.

OK, you say, Target is STILL a big corporation, if not like Wal-Mart, so what’s the surprise?

The contrast between Emmer’s outspoken conservatism and Target’s moderate image is striking. Emmer lauds Arizona’s strict approach to illegal immigration and once advocated chemical castration for sex offenders. Target is known in Minnesota for donating to public school programs, food pantries and the annual Twin Cities Pride gay festival.

Monica Meyer, interim head of the gay rights group OutFront Minnesota, said that the gay community had long viewed Target as a supportive employer, and that many are surprised by the donation. The group posted an open letter urging Target to take back its money.

“A lot of people feel betrayed,” she said.

The two “Boycott Target” Facebook groups together had more than 3,000 followers by Tuesday evening. Some people posted business phone numbers for Target and Steinhafel, who individually also gave Emmer $2,000, the maximum under state law.

Ruh-roh.  So why again did Target donate to this guy?

In an e-mail to employees, Steinhafel said Target’s political donations are intended to support business objectives such as job creation and economic growth.

He said the company doesn’t have a social agenda or necessarily agree with all of the positions of candidates it supports. “Let me be very clear,” he said, “Target’s support of the [gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender] community is unwavering, and inclusiveness remains a core value of our company.”

As of Tuesday, Target was the largest donor to MN Forward, which had raised more than $1 million from industry trade groups and companies including Best Buy Co.Pentair Inc., Hubbard Broadcasting Inc., Davisco Foods International Inc. and Polaris Industries Inc.

Oh, I see, they’re ignoring the homophobe part to get the corporate shill part, is that it?  Well, good look getting those of us who believe in equal rights for all citizens to go along with that.

And I was just getting excited about the renovation of Target on Colonial, so much for that now…

6 comments for “Great. Now Where Am I Supposed to Shop?

1. Leigh
    July 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

I still eat at Chik-Fil-A even though I have heard for years that they are Fundies who fund Fundies.

2. July 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

Yes, I confess I too find my way to the Jesus Chicken from time to time, as our friend Dabney calls it.

3. July 28, 2010 at 6:33 pm

If we are to boycott any business that contributes to the Repigs we will be living off the land.

They don’t really contribute, the buy. These corps own Republicans.
    They want labor kept down, and taxes on the rich lowered. They have no other motivation.

There are businesses that do not contribute to the GOP but they aren’t always near us.
    This site is undergoing work, but keep the link. You’ll find it informative.

4. Gary
    July 29, 2010 at 4:52 am

Would love to know what their overall giving is. $150K doesn’t seem like much. I think captainkona’s right about the difficulty of boycotting companies that donate to political parties that you don’t agree with. Even on the local level I sometimes shop at stores that I know support different agendas than my own.

5. Dennis
    July 31, 2010 at 8:16 am

Emmer wants wages reduced for waiters.

He thinks waiters make $100,000 a year in undisclosed tips.

He wants reduced sentences for DWI offenders.

He has had two DWIs and refuses to answer when asked if he still drinks.

6. August 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

Not a bad idea.

Years ago I picked up this handy-dandy book:

It’s helpfull though there’s so much shades of gray. CostCo is considered more “blue” than Walmart but they also get a negative rating from Greenpeace for their fishing practices. Also they sell a lot of fake organic food.

Ultimately maybe the best thing is to try to buy stuff made in America, or buy stuff from thrift stores, or make your own stuff.

This is why I don’t generally do big national boycotts. I have my personal boycotts but I think the whole concept of boycotts has been lost through globalization.