Fullilove Receives Threats For Sponsoring NDO

Jonathan Cole reports at Grand Divisions that Councilor Janis Fullilove has received death threats for sponsoring the city’s proposed Non-Discrimination Ordinance:

Last night, Memphis City Councilwoman Janis Fullilove informed me that she had received four phone calls from unknown numbers threating her life.  Each death threat referenced Fullilove’s sponsorship of the LGBT-inclusive employment non-discrimination legislation supported by Tennessee Equality Project.  Following these calls, someone threw a dead cat in Fullilove’s front yard.  Memphis Police have responded with added presence at her home.  Fullilove and her family are safe for the moment.

Gutless punks. Fullilove has been a supporter of equality in the city for a long time, and deserves praise, not threats, for proposing the NDO.  Cole asks a relevant question:

If an elected Memphis City Council member can be threatened and intimidated with violence for having the courage to advocate as a straight ally for LGBT inclusive workplace protections, imagine what a city employee working in sanitation services, the Police Department, or the Fire Department might experience. Gender and sexual orientation bias in the community and in the workplace is real.

Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people are not the only ones who suffer from homophobia and transphobia in our society. Yesterday’s threats prove that such irrational sickness and ugliness affects the whole community.

Enough said.  I hope they find these punks and throw them in the basement of 201 Poplar.

9 comments for “Fullilove Receives Threats For Sponsoring NDO

1. oldasa
    July 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

If you’d been observing Fullilove you’d already know that she full of something and is her own worst enemy. Anyone who stands up for anything will receive threats. It comes with the territory. Janis should be more afraid of natural selection than anything else. If she hadn’t been so public We’d all be spared the public humiliation watching her deteriorate in public. More reflective on Memphis is that Memphis can’t even produce enough votes to dismiss this fool. Hey Steve, How about I assign you the task of finding anything genuinely substantive about Janis. Not until then should you feel welcomed to comment on “speak to power”. Just My opinion. LOL

2. July 28, 2010 at 7:09 pm

So, oldass…

Not sure I understand you…
    Are you by any chance trying to excuse these threats by insinuating that the victim brought these on herself?

Any chance you’re a Talibani that stones women to death for being raped?

3. oldasa
    July 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm

To captain;
    If you’re already confused about what I just said, that virtually assures your even farther away from a substantive point than ol Steve here. BTW My name is not OLDASS. LOL Also please find something better to talk about. Can you believe Old Johnathan Cole was desperate enough to ask her of all people to waist the commissions time on this. Instead of repairing or restoring her desecrated public image she seems just to be adding more fools to her entourage. I certainly hope the rest of the commissioners have enough since see how frivolous all this is.

4. Leigh
    July 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Oldasa,
    You must be confused. This is not the Commercial Appeal comments. Please go back over there and provide your regular readers with these important insights. Thank you.

5. July 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Oldass:

Since you didn’t deny being a Taliban type victim-hater, I guess we have our answer.

You Teabagger/Birther twits are all the same.

6. Oldasa
    July 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Just as I thought.

7. Oldasa
    July 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I’ve consistently waited to hear something wholesome decent and honorable from the responders here. I’m still lurking here to see something substantive. sticks and stones yadda yadda yadda. I’m going to concede one point to Steve. And only one point. If we can ever prove that anyone stalked spied or in any way violated Janis Fullilove’s privacy I would personally take great pleasure in dispensing proper justice to said perpetrator. That goes for anyone of any political persuasion . As a matter of fact There should be especially harsh punishments for all crimes that can be defined as victimizing individuals. That goes for all stalkers and those who steal anyone’s identity. That might be a really good project for the bunch here. You all seem to be sidetracked from really important issues rather than calling me names.

PS Just as I said there are always going to be those who threaten. Those who have real experience know that most who stoop to such things are not worth mentioning 90 percent of the time. Captain, your little comments are not worth mentioning either. LOL

My site name at the top of my posts here refers to an Army Unit I served in that specialized in catching spies, sneaks and cheats. So play fare and I’ll be watching.

8. July 30, 2010 at 11:40 am

Well, you see, Oldass…

I quit wasting my time trying to have meaningful discourse with fools after those traitors, Bush/Cheney, left office.

“So play fare and I’ll be watching.”

Was that supposed to “play fair” or “pay fare”?

…And my rope was blue (and if you don’t know what that means, stop pretending to have been in the Army). So your Army unit doesn’t impress me in the slightest. Stop trying to use your service to quantify your back-assward positions.
    I met hundreds of service people in four years. I can count the smart ones on my fingers and toes.

9. Oldasa
    July 31, 2010 at 6:34 pm

One complement to this site;
    Most of the time all that is necessary is to write a perfectly rational and logical apposing statement to any Liberal (Progressive) opinion and then sit back and watch a cabal of wild freaked out psychos make complete fools of themselves trying to refute the irrefutable. This site I must say has not succumbed. I expected by this time to be completely covered up with lies and wild accusations and a complete denials of reality from rantings and ravings and wild contrivances beyond belief. Now if someone could just show up direct this guy, Captain, where to get his medications. You will never convince me there are no level headed people hanging here. My judge of human nature has never failed me yet.

Wow, now this Captain guy wants to be Army buddies. If he’s this nice to his friends I wonder what he’s like to anyone he doesn’t like.